What sentence can he expect and or possible way to reduce charges and bail? This is all new to us..

Asked over 1 year ago - Houma, LA

My son was pulled over by state trooper for speeding . Officer smelled pot and asked to search the car . He told them immediately that he had a handgun in the car in the drink holder and handed it over . Officer said he cooperated fully . Trooper found pot and arrested him immediately along with a friend who was with him . His bail has been set at $ 50 , 000 . This is his first offense . Nothing on his driving record either .

1. Seth J. Bloom

Pro

3

Answered . This seems like a very high bail for this type of case. I feel like I don't have all the facts or something is missing. I would recommend hiring a criminal defense lawyer in your area and having him or her file a motion to reduce the bond.

2. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

2

1

Answered . Wow! I hope the figure typed in for bail as set for your son is a typo. I can give you no specific guidance with his legal predicament as I am not licensed in your state; however, I can give you the advice that is most important for him. He needs the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately. Counsel will speak confidentially with your son, gather the pertinent facts, and begin to prepare an effective defense. Counsel will likely be able to do something to get your son's bail reduced. There are several outstanding attorneys from your area who participate here, and most offer free, if limited, consultations. Take advantage of that to start interviewing candidates for the job of representing your son. I would expect one or more of them to respond here shortly. Do not post any more details about this matter anywhere on the Internet, including social media. Talk only with counsel. Good luck.