Skip to main content

What sanctions and court rule apply to false swearing by an attorney? [King co Sup. ct ex-parte div]

Seattle, WA |

the opponent's counsel self incriminated by reversing the false statements in further proceedings.
The false statement was a about a major material fact that would affect the entire outcome of the case.
I know that WSBA can cause sanctions to be applied, but what sanction or court rule could or should be applied by the court?

Is the damaged party required to press [litigate] the issue as a separate action with attendant arguments and case law, etc.;
Upon simple notification or motion, with proof; will the court step in with sanctions or overturn a case as a matter of policy?
[assuming that the perjury or false swearing is established as a fact]
in this case the opp counsel "confessed" in later pleadings] A judge can clearly see all the elements in the court files.

Attorney Answers 1


You need to consult with counsel. Many lawyers offer a free initial consultation. There are insufficient facts here to meaningfully answer your question.

We can be reached at 215-545-2201. Our firm has lawyers licensed to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and in the Federal Courts of those states. The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics