What salary amount should be used to calculate spousal support (temp)?

Asked about 1 year ago - Cincinnati, OH

My husband had a three year average income of approx $127,000 included in that is his commission/bonuses. His base salary is 95,322. When the magistrate first ordered support she used the 127,000 figure to my 31,000. A few days later she corrected the judgment using his 95,322 to calculate the support which lowered it per month. he receives the bonuses every quarter and she did order that I receive half of that when he gets it in addition to spousal. Would that be the reason she switched the amounts or not?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Ronald Lee Burdge


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Probably but you should be talking about this with a local divorce lawyer, wherever you are. Domestic Relations cases are very dependant on the law in each state and the way each county judge may approach your particular case. Perhaps no other area of law is so peculiarly local as this is. Because of that, you really should talk to a local attorney to find out what your rights are, what the law says, what the local judge's approach may be, and what you can and can not do in your situation. This is also the one area of law where a decision made today can have very long-term consequences so it is important that you have your side heard and considered. You need to talk to a local Domestic Relations attorney who deals with your kind of case on a regular basis in your local court. You can search the Avvo website list of attorneys or call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Domestic Relations attorney near you. But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to take action in court or your rights expire, so don't waste your time getting to a Domestic Relations attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote UP” review below. And be sure to indicate the best answer to your question so we can all be sure we are being helpful. Thanks for asking and Good Luck. Ron Burdge, www.BurdgeLaw.com

    Here’s one list of Domestic Relations attorneys in Ohio, click here

    Want info on sensible divorce and custody alternatives? click here

    Click here for a list of state and local attorney bar associations

    Click here for a list of state and local women attorney’s bar associations

    What are attorney bar associations and how do they work? Click on this Wikipedia answer here

    This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,010 answers this week

2,782 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,010 answers this week

2,782 attorneys answering