What's the total cost to file for bankruptcy including attorney fee and filing fee?

Portland, OR |

I want to file for bankruptcy but don't know where to start at the low cost.

1. Start by consulting with one or more experienced bankruptcy attorneys. While the filing fee is a definite sum, the cost of legal fees will vary from one attorney to the next. Be careful of lawfirms that quote a flat fee in your first phone call without knowing anything about your case. The only reliable fee information will come from an attorney that completes a full case review and carefully identifies all of the legal issues.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

2. It varies by attorney, and the cost of your case. I personally charge $1,500 for a chapter 7 bankruptcy. That includes the filing fee that the court charges, of $306 - I pay this cost for you. I believe this fee is about comparable to other attorneys in the area, but feel free to shop around. You can read more about this process here: http://www.northwestlawoffice.com/bankruptcy.html

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

3. I agree that it is difficult to quote a fee without knowing more about your specific case. Fortunately, most bankruptcy attorneys, including our office, offer free consultations. I encourage you to schedule a consultation with an attorney so that you can review your individual circumstances and get information tailored just for you.

Michelle Freed is licensed in Oregon, Washington and Idaho only. Responses to questions posted in this forum do not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. I think it is important to meet in person with an attorney and go over your case. Many attorneys (including myself) offer free initial consultations. This is to go over your individual case and your specific situation. Over the years, I have had many clients ask me how much a bankruptcy is as they "have a simple case."I think it does a disservice to the potential client to shoot out numbers without knowing the situation. There can be a lot of factors going in to a case such as: Garnishment, Priority Tax Issues, Asset Planning, Exemption Planning, Means Testing, Reaffirmations, Redemption, Whether you qualify for Ch7 or Ch13, Which Chapter best resolved your individual situation, whether there needs to be lien avoidance motions - to name a few. It's like calling a doctor and asking how much a surgery is. The doctor could probably tell you what an average surgery costs, but the doctor would want to fully diagnose you in person first before operating. It is no different for a lawyer. I want to make sure my clients get the best result possible for their individual situation. Make sure that before you move forward you fully understand the up and downs of your individual situation with whichever attorney you hire. For most people that file bankruptcy this is the single biggest financial restructuring they will ever do, they have done everything they can to stay out of bankruptcy, and in general they are a very nervous or scared about the procedure. Best of luck.

5. I am one of few Portland-area BK attorneys who charge by the complexity of your case. IF your case is simple my fee is $700. My average fee is $1100. Check out my website at www.ExperiencedOregonAttorney.com for more details and the intake form. Then give me a call: 503-201-8933

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.