What's the result of a green card holder being charged shoplifting?

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

I'm 24 and just got my green card this year, and I was charged shoplifting for $20. I didn't have any criminal records before, totally clean. I was arrested by the police and taken fingerprints and photograph, and will go to the court next month. Should I plead guilty or not guilty? coz I'm really not intentionally to steal sth. I was talking on the phone and did not realize I walk out with out pay. I totally coorprate with the police and didn't explain (I do explain to the security of the shop, does not work)coz I'm afraid of some other more charges. But does it help if I explain these to the judge? And what's the possible results after the court. Is my green card gonna revoked? any help, appreciated.

1. Nicklaus James Misiti

2

Answered . Most likely it will not result in removal proceedings, however, it may negatively effect future applications for immigration benefits. It is best to try to get it reduced to something that will have no effect on immigration later. My firm handles criminal immigration matters in NY.
    Regards,
    Nick Misiti
    Misiti Global
    212 537 4407

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . From an immigration perspective, at a minimum, delays in naturalizing. You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . Hire an an experienced Criminal Defense lawyer. Your green card will likely not be revoked over one misdemeanor theft, but will delay your being able to apply for naturalization, at least for the 3 year probationary period that any guilty plea on your part will trigger.
    See if the criminal defense lawyer can reduce the charge from theft to "trespass on chattel" .