What's the result of a green card holder being charged shoplifting?

Flushing, NY |

I'm 24 and just got my green card this year, and I was charged shoplifting for $20. I didn't have any criminal records before, totally clean. I was arrested by the police and taken fingerprints and photograph, and will go to the court next month. Should I plead guilty or not guilty? coz I'm really not intentionally to steal sth. I was talking on the phone and did not realize I walk out with out pay. I totally coorprate with the police and didn't explain (I do explain to the security of the shop, does not work)coz I'm afraid of some other more charges. But does it help if I explain these to the judge? And what's the possible results after the court. Is my green card gonna revoked? any help, appreciated.

1. From an immigration perspective, at a minimum, delays in naturalizing. You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. Hire an an experienced Criminal Defense lawyer. Your green card will likely not be revoked over one misdemeanor theft, but will delay your being able to apply for naturalization, at least for the 3 year probationary period that any guilty plea on your part will trigger.
    See if the criminal defense lawyer can reduce the charge from theft to "trespass on chattel" .

3. Most likely it will not result in removal proceedings, however, it may negatively effect future applications for immigration benefits. It is best to try to get it reduced to something that will have no effect on immigration later. My firm handles criminal immigration matters in NY.
    Regards,
    Nick Misiti
    Misiti Global
    212 537 4407

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.