What's the process to change B2 status to F-1 student visa within the US?

New York, NY |

I've been in the US for 3 months and I got accepted to a University to start this Spring. My B2 status expires Feb 14th 2014. I would like to know what's the process to change status within USA and if the chance of refusal is high. What documents should I provide to prove I am a great candidate for a F-1 student visa. I'm 20 years old my mother is a Bank Executive Vice-President and will be paying for my school and living expenses. The school requires a minimum of $45,000 dollar liquid and my mother is more than able to provide this. After I earned the Bachelor's Degree I plan to return to my country to start my own Advertising agency with the help of my mother.

Also is there any good immigration lawyer that you could recommend in NYC that could guide me. Thank you very much!

You start by talking to the DSO.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Do not take these matters lightly, in my opinion, meeting with an experienced immigration professional saves you a lot of time, effort and money in the long run by giving you the most accurate approach to action. I recommend Counsel Alexander Segal.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

If your entry into the US was for the purpose of applying to a school and changing status, you may be denied F-1 student status based on preconceived intent, if not fraud. If you told the consular office that you wanted to come to the US in order to explore various schools, that is a different matter. You should consult with an immigration lawyer to determine whether you should leave the US and apply for an F-1 visa in your home country.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

I applied to the school before I entered the US to start classes next fall. While here I got the acceptance letter so I change my mind and I would like to start classes this Spring since I'm already here. In this trip I have not visited any schools. You've assumed too much and didn't answer my question.

Aggie Rachel Hoffman

Aggie Rachel Hoffman

I was not the only one who did not answer your question. Were you this polite to the others? Now that you have disclosed that you "entered to start classes," I can tell you that you did so with the wrong visa. This can be an obstacle to your desired change of status. Consult with an immigration attorney for a complete analysis.

Best to consult an immigration attorney in person. Find one near you here on AVVO. There are some who provide free consultations.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law