What's the process to change B2 status to F-1 student visa within the US?

Asked 8 months ago - New York, NY

I've been in the US for 3 months and I got accepted to a University to start this Spring. My B2 status expires Feb 14th 2014. I would like to know what's the process to change status within USA and if the chance of refusal is high. What documents should I provide to prove I am a great candidate for a F-1 student visa. I'm 20 years old my mother is a Bank Executive Vice-President and will be paying for my school and living expenses. The school requires a minimum of $45,000 dollar liquid and my mother is more than able to provide this. After I earned the Bachelor's Degree I plan to return to my country to start my own Advertising agency with the help of my mother.

Also is there any good immigration lawyer that you could recommend in NYC that could guide me. Thank you very much!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You start by talking to the DSO.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Do not take these matters lightly, in my opinion, meeting with an experienced immigration professional saves you a lot of time, effort and money in the long run by giving you the most accurate approach to action. I recommend Counsel Alexander Segal.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more
  3. Altin Nanaj

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Best to consult an immigration attorney in person. Find one near you here on AVVO. There are some who provide free consultations.

  4. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If your entry into the US was for the purpose of applying to a school and changing status, you may be denied F-1 student status based on preconceived intent, if not fraud. If you told the consular office that you wanted to come to the US in order to explore various schools, that is a different matter. You should consult with an immigration lawyer to determine whether you should leave the US and apply for an F-1 visa in your home country.

    The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,403 answers this week

3,001 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,403 answers this week

3,001 attorneys answering