What's the process to change B2 status to F-1 student visa within the US?

Asked 5 months ago - New York, NY

I've been in the US for 3 months and I got accepted to a University to start this Spring. My B2 status expires Feb 14th 2014. I would like to know what's the process to change status within USA and if the chance of refusal is high. What documents should I provide to prove I am a great candidate for a F-1 student visa. I'm 20 years old my mother is a Bank Executive Vice-President and will be paying for my school and living expenses. The school requires a minimum of $45,000 dollar liquid and my mother is more than able to provide this. After I earned the Bachelor's Degree I plan to return to my country to start my own Advertising agency with the help of my mother.

Also is there any good immigration lawyer that you could recommend in NYC that could guide me. Thank you very much!

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

Pro

6

Answered . You start by talking to the DSO.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

1

Answered . Do not take these matters lightly, in my opinion, meeting with an experienced immigration professional saves you a lot of time, effort and money in the long run by giving you the most accurate approach to action. I recommend Counsel Alexander Segal.

3. Altin Nanaj

Answered . Best to consult an immigration attorney in person. Find one near you here on AVVO. There are some who provide free consultations.

4. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

Pro

1

Answered . If your entry into the US was for the purpose of applying to a school and changing status, you may be denied F-1 student status based on preconceived intent, if not fraud. If you told the consular office that you wanted to come to the US in order to explore various schools, that is a different matter. You should consult with an immigration lawyer to determine whether you should leave the US and apply for an F-1 visa in your home country.