Skip to main content

What's the next step if the executor/administrator over my mom's estate does not file the correct final accounting in probate?

Van Nuys, CA |

As an heir to the estate I filed a petition to compel for final accounting and inventory so the executor/administrator for my mom's estate can complete probate. If the final accounting is not correct do I need my proof to object at the hearing or is there another process after. I want to be prepared. Also on the supplemental inventory already filed I have an objection to the value of one of the assets listed but in order to get the proof for this asset the bank told me I need a subpoena from probate court. Should I do this now or object after seeing the final accounting?

Attorney Answers 3


You would object after you receive the final accounting if it is not correct.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


I am not sure how you can object to an accounting that you have not seen, yet. I would wait until you get the accounting and then determine whether or not there is a basis for objecting. If you decide to object, you may need to consult with an attorney to make sure that your objections are presented in the light most likely to get the result you are seeking.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree you need to obtain and review the accounting before you can object to it. It is unclear how your objection as to the value of an asset contained in the inventory would be worthwhile.

However, if you contest the amount on deposit in a bank account on the date of death, you can simply prepare a demand for production for the banking records for that account and serve it on the personal representative.

Alternatively, you can ask the court clerk to issue a SDT and have it served on the bank. You may want to request all banking records standing in the name of the decedent, alone or with any other person, for the period of time commencing from a particular date, i.e., one year before DOD, as appropriate.

I would do either one, or both, now as the process is not always smooth and does not always give you the information you seek. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

7 lawyers agree

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics