What's the next step and what paperwork is needed?

Long Beach, CA |

My wife and I divorced a year ago. We both signed the settlement paperwork but the day of court I had to fly out and was unable to file/finish the rest of the paperwork. My ex said that she would come back to the courthouse and finish doing the paperwork the next day. My ex never came back to court to do the paperwork. Being that she never showed up to do the paperwork she and I are still married according to the court. I have a copy of the settlement agreement, what forms or paperwork do I have to fill out in order for this divorce to be finalized?

It depends on how the case is concluding? Is it a default by stipulation, stipulated judgment, marital settlement agreement, judgment after trial, summary dissolution? Basically the forms remain the same, but these are questions that I would ask a friend if they were asking me so that the Judgment doesnt get kicked back.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

The forms are SOOO noit the same for a "Summary Disso"! I don;t mean to quibble but-- that is sooo easy. All the remaining options are a mess, paper-workwise.

Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

I agree, I should have qualified that part. Thank You counsel.

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

Thanks for letting me be picky!!! (I have a real issue with how hard these forms are for pro pers.) Take good care.

Go to the Self-Help Clinic at the Court for assistance by a volunteer lawyer - or retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to finish the case for you.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I just posted a guide on the topic of paperwork. Take a look, it might help you understand the various stages of the process:

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce