What's the next step and what paperwork is needed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

My wife and I divorced a year ago. We both signed the settlement paperwork but the day of court I had to fly out and was unable to file/finish the rest of the paperwork. My ex said that she would come back to the courthouse and finish doing the paperwork the next day. My ex never came back to court to do the paperwork. Being that she never showed up to do the paperwork she and I are still married according to the court. I have a copy of the settlement agreement, what forms or paperwork do I have to fill out in order for this divorce to be finalized?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Donald Frederick Conviser

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Go to the Self-Help Clinic at the Court for assistance by a volunteer lawyer - or retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to finish the case for you.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  2. Erik Wayland Newton


    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I just posted a guide on the topic of paperwork. Take a look, it might help you understand the various stages of the process:

  3. Daniel Seth Williams


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . It depends on how the case is concluding? Is it a default by stipulation, stipulated judgment, marital settlement agreement, judgment after trial, summary dissolution? Basically the forms remain the same, but these are questions that I would ask a friend if they were asking me so that the Judgment doesnt get kicked back.

    Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Decree

A divorce decree is the order a judge will issue that finalizes a divorce after proceedings have ended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,967 answers this week

2,649 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,967 answers this week

2,649 attorneys answering