What's the next step after I've served an eviction notice and the tenant refuses to vacate?

Belleville, IL |

I have sent a eviction notice to my tenant by mail delivery and hand deliver. Tenant still won't vacate premises,what do I do next legally?

You have to file and serve a lwsuit on the tenant asking the court to order an eviction. Law enforcement will then enforce the order and forcibly evict tenant if necessary.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Just to narrow things a bit, here in Illinois it's called a "forcible entry and detainer" lawsuit, and you have to file it where the property is -- Belleville is in the 20th Judicial District.

Landlord-tenant topics