What's the most common way of charging for simple divorce,what's the average lawyer fee in Miami?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Am I being ripped off by my lawyer? It is not specified how all the work is been calculated the retaining agreement says only I am being charged by hourly rate which is 300$, on the invoices I receive 30$ per each email from them also 0.6 /180$ for phone call! Top of that my simple divorce is not even moving ahead,feel like all both parties lawyer want is delay the case so I pay more and no result yet. My divorce is very simple,no children ,no assets together involved. I payed so far over 2500$ still nothing done.will it worth to change my lawyer at this stage now or would be more expensive ,I would appreciate an honest answer,thank you

1. Natalie F Guerra-Valdes

2

Answered . Every lawyer charges differently. Some lawyers charge hourly rates, some charge a flat fee depending on the case. Your lawyer can charge you for responding to emails and phone calls. If you are unhappy with your lawyer, you should have a sit down with him/her so you can both be on the same page.

2. Heather Morcroft

Answered . Also, although no assets and no children generally make for a simple divorce, if you spouse is not agreeing to something, or if there is debt, then perhaps it is not as simple as you think. Communication is essential. You should know what you are paying for, but expect to pay for it. Also, quite often divorces move slowly through the courts not because of the lawyers, but because the court system is overworked and understaffed at the moment, and civil cases are not a priority. So when parties do not agree and hearings are required, things can take a lot more time.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

1

Answered . Yes most lawyers charge for emails and phone calls. Rather than complain on here go in for a face to face conversation with your lawyer and ask the same questions.