What's the minimum sentence for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (gun) in Georgia?

Asked over 2 years ago - Acworth, GA

My stepdad pulled a gun to someone's throat and I wanted to make sure they wouldnt let him go with probation or anything.

1. Morris Hugh Wiltshire Jr.

Pro

Answered . Georgia law allows for punishment of incareration up to 20 years. To find out what will happen in your particular case you need to talk to the victim advocate in the office of the District Attorney where the charges are pending. I have attached the "find your prosecutor" link to this answer it can help you find the correct office to contact about this situaiton. Good luck to you.

O. C. G. A. 16-5-21. Aggravated assault

(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated assault when he or she assaults:

(1) With intent to murder, to rape, or to rob;

(2) With a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury; or

(3) A person or persons without legal justification by discharging a firearm from within a motor vehicle toward a person or persons.

(b) Except as provided in subsections (c) through (k) of this Code section, a person convicted of the offense of aggravated assault shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20 years.

2. Brett Ladd

Pro

Answered . Actually, to me it sounds like you do NOT want them to go light on him. Be sure to communicate those thoughts to the prosecutor's office. If you want additional help in Cherokee or Cobb, feel free to contact my office.

3. Richard A. Grossman

Pro

Answered . It's possible to receive probation for a conviction for aggravated assault in Georgia. Based on the few facts you provided however it is probably not likely unless your stepdad can legitimately claim self-defense.

4. James Regan

Pro

Answered . It sounds like you want an acquittal. Use Avvo to find several defense attorneys in your county to interview, and hire the one you are most comfortable with.