What's the longest time a divorce lawyer can make the divorce process last for?

Filed under: Divorce

Is it possible for a good divorce attorney to stretch the process as long as 3 years in order to buy time?

Almost impossible, unless the case is quite complex.

I've been in the process for 3 years now. If the party across the table is an abuser and has an attorney that specializes in taking adults rights away you are in for the long haul. And then there is the hurdle of protracted pointless litigation after the decree is granted.

My colleague from California answered you specifically. Each state has different time standards within which a divorce shall be completed. On many, if not most occasions, divorces take a bit longer. If the matter is incredibly complicated and discovery somehow involves out of state witnesses, expert evaluations, forensic accounting and business type evaluations on top of interviews, investigations and inspection of records, you may be able to prolong the process. However, you must have valid reasons for the requests or you could face discovery sanctions. There are some incredible attorneys in LA, I suggest you interview a few. Take care, and I wish you all the best.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

I would argue that you need a bad divorce attorney to stretch a case that long, not a good one.

Robert Ricci, Jr., Esq.
Rahway, New Jersey

Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.