What's the likelihood of jail time and expected fines for a disorderly conduct with resist, obstruct and hindering in Michigan?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lansing, MI

I was arrested for disorderly conduct with resist/obstruct/hinder while intoxicated at a local bar. According to the police report I was being difficult by moving my arms a lot and trying to stand up when the officer was trying to put handcuffs on me. The report didn't state anything about me saying anything at all and also it did not say anything about me physically assaulting anybody.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Nicholas A. Leydorf

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the previous answer. You should contact a local attorney for some advice. It would be helpful if you brought a copy of the report with you to your meeting. From your description of the events, it does not sound like a very strong case against you. Regarding your question, the likelihood of a jail sentence would depend on many factors. In this case, it would likely depend on whether you have any prior criminal history. However, that's assuming that you plead guilty. I would strongly recommend discussing your case with an attorney before making the decision to plead guilty.

  2. Michael J. Breczinski


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You want to get a lawyer to help you in this because there is not enough information to properly answer this question. Do you have a prior record? What are all the details of why the police were there in the first place etc?

    Michael Breczinski
    Burton, MI

  3. Neil M. Colman


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . It might depend on how strongly the police feel about the resistance. What you perceive and the police perceive will be quite different. It might depend how polite and cooperative you were after you were cuffed. No one can tell you with certainty that you won't be incarcerated. We've all had cases where we believed a certain result was a "slam dunk" based on our view of the matter, but the court thought differently and jailed the client. Do yourself a favor and hire a criminal attorney.

    Neil M. Colman

    Mr. Colman is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,460 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,460 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering