What's the latest date I can apply to extend my visit on B2 visitor visa?

New York, NY |

I was given 6 months stay at POE, which is due in two weeks. I need a month more to complete a mechanical engineering certificate. Is there a deadline to when you can apply for visa extension before the I-94 expires? Or I can apply at any time as long its before my legal stay expires?

Thank you in advance!
- Thomas R.

You must file your request for an extension of status prior to the expiration of your current status. It is best to make sure the request to extend status is received by USCIS prior to the expiration of your current authorized stay. You should also document the request with evidence of the need for the extension and your intent to return to your native country.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

The application requesting extension of your status can be filed no later than the I-94 expiration date. You need a valid reason for extension (and studying is not one such reason), intention to depart the U.S., adequate funds or staying in c/o someone to finance your extension, evidence of a foreign residence abroad which you have no intention of abandoning, etc. Discuss case specific issues with your current immigration attorney.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter, nor should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

As latest as the request for extension can and will be received by USCIS when you are still in status.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Your application for extension of status has to be received PRIOR to your I-94's expiration date. Better carefully document it with a valid reason for requesting the extension and proof of your ability to support yourself, etc.,, to increase the chances of approval.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration