What's the latest date I can apply to extend my visit on B2 visitor visa?

Asked 6 months ago - New York, NY

I was given 6 months stay at POE, which is due in two weeks. I need a month more to complete a mechanical engineering certificate. Is there a deadline to when you can apply for visa extension before the I-94 expires? Or I can apply at any time as long its before my legal stay expires?

Thank you in advance!
- Thomas R.

1. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

1

Answered . You must file your request for an extension of status prior to the expiration of your current status. It is best to make sure the request to extend status is received by USCIS prior to the expiration of your current authorized stay. You should also document the request with evidence of the need for the extension and your intent to return to your native country.

2. Ajay Kumar Arora

1

Answered . The application requesting extension of your status can be filed no later than the I-94 expiration date. You need a valid reason for extension (and studying is not one such reason), intention to depart the U.S., adequate funds or staying in c/o someone to finance your extension, evidence of a foreign residence abroad which you have no intention of abandoning, etc. Discuss case specific issues with your current immigration attorney.

3. Rizwan M Khalid

Answered . You need to file extension ahead of time before your visa date is passed. I encourage you to see an attorney to file for extension. Good luck