What's the latest date I can apply to extend my visit on B2 visitor visa?

New York, NY |

I was given 6 months stay at POE, which is due in two weeks. I need a month more to complete a mechanical engineering certificate. Is there a deadline to when you can apply for visa extension before the I-94 expires? Or I can apply at any time as long its before my legal stay expires?

Thank you in advance!
- Thomas R.

1. You must file your request for an extension of status prior to the expiration of your current status. It is best to make sure the request to extend status is received by USCIS prior to the expiration of your current authorized stay. You should also document the request with evidence of the need for the extension and your intent to return to your native country.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

2. The application requesting extension of your status can be filed no later than the I-94 expiration date. You need a valid reason for extension (and studying is not one such reason), intention to depart the U.S., adequate funds or staying in c/o someone to finance your extension, evidence of a foreign residence abroad which you have no intention of abandoning, etc. Discuss case specific issues with your current immigration attorney.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter, nor should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

3. You need to file extension ahead of time before your visa date is passed. I encourage you to see an attorney to file for extension. Good luck

This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. A lawyer-client relationship will not be deemed to exist until such time as a written retainer agreement has been executed by an authorized representative of this firm, or until the firm otherwise agrees to and actually begins rendering services on a clients' behalf.