What's the first step when someone has run away from probation for 3 years & wants to get square with the judge??

Asked 10 months ago - Santa Barbara, CA

My brother has had two possession felonies. The first for 1 pill of extacy and second for one pill of morphine. He did a few months in jail & rehab. He got out of rehab 3 years ago and was supposed to be on probation. The SB judge denied his request to leave town. But he skipped out of town anyway to avoid drug using friends. He's been living for three years as a fugitive and is finally in the financial position to take care of it.

1. William Carlos Makler

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Hire a lawyer who can then gather information that can be presented in court as to why he should be allowed to remain out of custody pending the arrival at a just resolution.

2. Brian K Wanerman

4

Answered . Step one is: Get an attorney before you do ANYTHING else.

3. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

4

Answered . Retain an attorney because many attorneys know what to say to the judge to get this guy back on track without any further jail time. Good luck.

4. Daniel S. Lamb

4

Answered . Wow. My heart goes out to your family. While drug use is never a good idea, the charges against your brother are absurd and profoundly unfair. Nevertheless, running is never the answer. Get an attorney and pray that the judge has his eyes open to reality. Good luck.

5. Dan Eugene Chambers

3

Answered . Hire a lawyer. Then get the case placed on the calendar and deal with the warrant.