Skip to main content

What's the first step when someone has run away from probation for 3 years & wants to get square with the judge??

Santa Barbara, CA |

My brother has had two possession felonies. The first for 1 pill of extacy and second for one pill of morphine. He did a few months in jail & rehab. He got out of rehab 3 years ago and was supposed to be on probation. The SB judge denied his request to leave town. But he skipped out of town anyway to avoid drug using friends. He's been living for three years as a fugitive and is finally in the financial position to take care of it.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Step one is: Get an attorney before you do ANYTHING else.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.

  2. Retain an attorney because many attorneys know what to say to the judge to get this guy back on track without any further jail time. Good luck.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

  3. I agree with my colleague. Hire a lawyer who can then gather information that can be presented in court as to why he should be allowed to remain out of custody pending the arrival at a just resolution.

  4. Wow. My heart goes out to your family. While drug use is never a good idea, the charges against your brother are absurd and profoundly unfair. Nevertheless, running is never the answer. Get an attorney and pray that the judge has his eyes open to reality. Good luck.

  5. Hire a lawyer. Then get the case placed on the calendar and deal with the warrant.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics