What's the first step to getting a divorce with out income

Asked over 2 years ago - Cedar Park, TX

I want a divorce been married for 17 yrs I have no education he has education he has the house in his parents name I have no job

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Stephen Rohl Clark II

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . That's correct, filing a petition for divorce is the first step. If the two of you agree on the divorce, you can accomplish the divorce relatively cheap. Generally, the more contested a divorce is, the more expensive it is. In some counties, you can file an affidavit of inability to pay, sometimes called a "pauper's oath", which waives the court costs. If you proceed pro se, (without an attorney) some counties have a department that will help you through the process. It is definitely best, and faster, to get an attorney.

  2. Jeffrey Scott Davis


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . The first step is either to hire an attorney, or, file a petition for divorce on your own. If you have access to the bank account, get the money necessary to file and see an attorney as you may qualify to receive temporary spousal support, but, you must first have a court date and a hearing to get it. As well, you want to be able to stay in the house, assuming you have no other place to go. An attorney can help you protect your interests and your rights.

  3. Eric Lee Gruetzner

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You might also contact Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas, their website is http://www.vlsoct.org.

    Good luck,
    Eric Gruetzner
    Houston, Texas

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce and family

Divorce and family covers several issues that can come up during the course of a divorce, such as continuing spousal health insurance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,322 answers this week

2,965 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,322 answers this week

2,965 attorneys answering