What's the difference between DEFAULT and SUMMARY judgment? Also, UNLAWFUL DETAINER and LIMITED CIVIL CASE?

Asked over 1 year ago - Winterhaven, CA

( I'm tenant , represent self in 2nd YD case , after UDELL was dismissed by plaintiff ( my contradictory evidence in answer . I DID HAVE ATTY - BAD . ) : Do I have any recourse to Mums Judgment granted to Plaintiff ? I was at 1ST Mums Judgment hearing - judge said plaintiff did not serve in time , and reset trial date ( TRIAL WAS following day ) . I protested delay , but ignored . I rec'd 2nd notice of mums judgment , which conflicted with DR apt , filed ex - parch to continue . , which judge DENIED . So , mums judgment hearing held following day without me , and was granted ! I filed answers to both in days , showed up , yet Plaintiff atty knew how to lie and delay . I was a silent victim denied justice : no knowledge to defend , limited income disability , fragile medical condition . Cant afford another bad atty !

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . A plaintiff obtains a default against a defendant tenant who did not timely answer the summons and complaint.

A summary judgment motion can be filed after a defendant answers the complaint, and is used for the purpose of establishing that there is no triable issue of material fact and that the plaintiff ought to be granted a judgment as a matter of law.

An unlawful detainer lawsuit can be filed as a limited jurisdiction case if the amount of damages sought is $25,000 or less. An unlawful detainer lawsuit can be filed as an unlimited jurisdiction case (also known as general jurisdiction) if the amount of damages is more than $25,000.