What's the difference between a certificate of citizenship and a certificate of naturalization?

I'd like to change my name, but I don't know what is the difference that appears on form I-565

Bronx, NY -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

A Certificate of Naturalization is granted to green card holders after their become U.S. citizens though naturalization.

A Certificate of Citizenship is granted to a person born outside the U.S. to one or more U.S. citizen parents. Such a certificate means that this person is a U.S. citizen at birth.

For additional information, please see

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

If you are already a US citizen, then you would need to file a petition to change your name with your local court, as that is no longer an immigration matter. If you have not a US citizen, you can change your name as part of the naturalization procedure.