What's the difference between a certificate of citizenship and a certificate of naturalization?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Bronx, NY

I'd like to change my name, but I don't know what is the difference that appears on form I-565

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 8

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . A Certificate of Naturalization is granted to green card holders after their become U.S. citizens though naturalization.

    A Certificate of Citizenship is granted to a person born outside the U.S. to one or more U.S. citizen parents. Such a certificate means that this person is a U.S. citizen at birth.

    For additional information, please see

    This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal... more
  2. Answered . If you are already a US citizen, then you would need to file a petition to change your name with your local court, as that is no longer an immigration matter. If you have not a US citizen, you can change your name as part of the naturalization procedure.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,557 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,557 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering