What's the difference between a certificate of citizenship and a certificate of naturalization?

Asked over 3 years ago - Bronx, NY

I'd like to change my name, but I don't know what is the difference that appears on form I-565

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

8

1

Answered . A Certificate of Naturalization is granted to green card holders after their become U.S. citizens though naturalization.

A Certificate of Citizenship is granted to a person born outside the U.S. to one or more U.S. citizen parents. Such a certificate means that this person is a U.S. citizen at birth.

For additional information, please see

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . If you are already a US citizen, then you would need to file a petition to change your name with your local court, as that is no longer an immigration matter. If you have not a US citizen, you can change your name as part of the naturalization procedure.