Skip to main content

What's the best way to get a green card for me and my family if one of my children was born here and I am ready to buy a house ?

San Diego, CA |

We are from Saudi Arabia , my children are studying here I have a postgraduate degree in engineering , my wife have a graduate degree in education , I can invest some money here , I can buy a house as well , What's the best way to get a green card or a permanent resident card for me and my family if one of my children was born here ?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Your child can sponsor you after he/she turns 21. But from the brief description in your post, I would consider business immigration options. You should schedule a consultation with a business immigration attorney in your area.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  2. If your child is 21 years or older, then your USC child may sponsor you. If not, than you may consider some business sponsorship options. You must meet with an immigration attorney in person to discuss your options.

    Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

  3. I hope you and /or your wife can find suitable employment based upon your education and experience or you may consider EB-5 investor visa where if you invest $500K or upwards in a suitable project you could obtain green card EB-5s are to be done carefully because of hrash consequences. You should consult with an experienced immigration lawyer to assess your entire situation for correct advice. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Practice Area: Immigration
    13295 Illinois St., Ste. 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174

  4. Options depend on facts. You really need to meet one on one with an experienced immigration attorney, whether myself or one of my colleagues, so that he/she can review all your documents and facts in order to determine what your options are.

    Buying a house will not get you a green card.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  5. The child can file a petition for you as soon as the child turns 21.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  6. Your US Citizen child can petition you once they turn 21 however this might not be the fastest way for you to become a permanent resident.

    If you have funds to work with you may want to consider applying under the EB-5 investment category. My firm works on all sides of the EB-5 process. We have represented both businesses and investors. You need to consult with someone who is experienced in this area to make sure you know how to select a secure project and will have a smooth transition to your green card.

    Another option may be the EB2 NIW category as you have an advanced degree in a STEM field (hard sciences are in high demand). The EB2 NIW category allows you to self petition if you can prove that your presence in the United States is in the national interest. It is a good category for persons with substantial work experience or advanced degrees in desirable fields.

    I believe you may have a strong EB5 or EB2 NIW case and it would be wise to consult with an attorney who specializes in business immigration. You can contact me directly at if you would like to talk further.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics