What's the best way to challenge our property tax assessment?

Asked about 2 years ago - Independence, MO

Our house is now assessed for quite a bit more than it's actually worth. What's the best way and the first step to challenge the amount it's been assessed?


Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mark Eugene Klinkenberg

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . In Jackson County, you can follow the link provided for information on obtaining the appropriate forms for an appeal. Be aware that you only have until the second Monday in July to file your appeal. If you are not satisfied with your appeal to the Board of Equalization, you can take your appeal to the State Tax Commission. I've provided links for the State Tax Commission as well. Your State Tax Commission appeal must be filed by August 31 or within 30 days following the ruling by the Board of Equalization.

    Good luck.

    Although I may be licensed to practice in your state, any response given by me on this site does not constitute... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,010 answers this week

2,905 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,010 answers this week

2,905 attorneys answering