What's the best way to challenge our property tax assessment?

Independence, MO |

Our house is now assessed for quite a bit more than it's actually worth. What's the best way and the first step to challenge the amount it's been assessed?

.

1. In Jackson County, you can follow the link provided for information on obtaining the appropriate forms for an appeal. Be aware that you only have until the second Monday in July to file your appeal. If you are not satisfied with your appeal to the Board of Equalization, you can take your appeal to the State Tax Commission. I've provided links for the State Tax Commission as well. Your State Tax Commission appeal must be filed by August 31 or within 30 days following the ruling by the Board of Equalization.

Although I may be licensed to practice in your state, any response given by me on this site does not constitute legal advice and is not to be relied upon as such, nor does this establish any attorney-client relationship. My response is informational only. For specific legal responses, you need to hire a licensed local attorney to represent and/or advise you.