What's the best way remove negative items on credit report?

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

I have a few negative items on my credit report, less than $ 500 each, whats the best way to remove them ? should i dispute them or call the creditors and pay the charges ? will they remove them if i do so? They have been on there for 3-4 years, and i can afford to pay them off now.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would hire a lawyer specializing in credit repair to validate the debts and deal with any remaining issues through negotiaiton or court action.

    This answer is made for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you pay the creditors, the information can remain on your credit report for an additional period of time because your payment renews & resets the clock. Paying the creditors will not undo history either. I would suggest disputing any small item that is more than one year old because it is unlikely that the creditor will respond to the credit bureaus' request to confirm the debt. With larger debts you may want to wait a bit longer to dispute.

    However, repairing your credit isn't all about removing the negative information. Far more important is creating and maintaining good information. I published a 10 part series on this topic to help people that have gone through bankruptcy, but some of this info may help you too. You will have to scroll past a lot of other stuff to find these reports but looking doesn't cost you anything. Hope this perspective helps!

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You may not have a legal right to have truthful negative information removed from your credit report. The first step is always to get copies of your three major credit reports to see exactly what is (and isn't) being reported and who is doing the reporting (i.e., the original creditor, a collector, or both).

    Just because your may not have a legal right to the removal of truthful reports, that does not mean you can not negotiate (or hire an experienced attorney to negotiate for you) for the removal of the trade-lines as part of a deal. Many original creditors will not budge, but many collectors will work with you.

    Even if you just pay the debts, the debts then need to be properly reported as having a zero balance. Plus you are just a few years away from having these debts come off your report due to their age.

    Skaar & Feagle, LLP maintains offices in Marietta (770 427 5600) and Decatur (404 373 1970), Georgia. The... more

Related Topics


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.

Credit repair

Credit repair means to take actions that improve your credit history after it is negatively affected by an event such as bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,222 answers this week

3,795 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,222 answers this week

3,795 attorneys answering