What's the 1st step for a divorce?

Asked over 4 years ago - Brunswick, GA

Living apart since 2003. Living in separate states. I want a divorce, when I left in 2003 it was a communable separation then. There are no kids involved. Now that I am working again I want to restart/finalize getting a divorce from my wife.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher T. Anderson

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Hello. I am sorry the first response was a) from a lawyer outside the jurisdiction and b) clearly did not read your question.

    From your posting, I understand you live in Georgia You do not state where your wife is living. The first step is to check with your wife to see if you have agreement as to all issues. That will make life far simpler, and less expensive. If so, look for a firm (such as mine) that does uncontested divorces in your area.

    If not, you will need to file for divorce, and have her served. For this process, you will need a good attorney, specializing in divorce in this area. I would be glad to meet with you about this as well.

  2. Elazar Aryeh

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your spouse is willing to give you a divorce you should commence a case in the State where you reside and have her sign all the necessary divorce documents in order for it to be an "uncontested divorce". If you have a Seperation Agreement, that may also be used as a basis of your divorce. Keep in mind, if there are children under the age of 18 from this marriage, then child support and may be custody will become an issue.

    For this or any other questions, please contact us at 718-261-0210.

    The author of this posting is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. This posting is intended as general information only, and is not provided as legal advice in connection with any specific case, and does not create an attorney-client relationship

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,192 answers this week

2,892 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,192 answers this week

2,892 attorneys answering