What's my punishment for shoplifting?

Asked about 1 year ago - New Paris, PA

I was caught shoplifting at Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania. The merchandise is worth under $150, I am 17, and do not have any previous juvenile record.

1. Christopher M. Patterson

1

1

Answered . You have committed a summary offense is this is your first retail theft and the amount was under $150. Your punishment if you plead guilty or are found guilty will probably be a fine and perhaps attend some type of retail theft school. However, there may be a diversion program available that will allow you to earn a dismissal of the charge. You should speak to a criminal defense lawyer to see if you have any defense or if there is a diversion program. Although a fine doesn't seem like much the ramifications of a criminal record tor a theft offense can be devastating. Good luck.

2. Robert C. Keller

Answered . It is strongly suggested that you not plead guilty. Instead, your family should retain a criminal defense attorney who will explore all options to protect your interest. Good luck.

3. Michael Anthony Hernandez

Pro

1

Answered . You and your family should contact a defense attorney immediately. Often these matters can be resolved through a diversion program not involving the juvenile court.