What's going to happen?

Asked about 1 year ago - Syracuse, NY

My daughter made the mistake of leaving her child in a car unattended and got charges. She has a court date. The child was asleep and being watched from inside for 20 mins. She was not harmed they took her to the hospital and said she was fine. What do you think will happen to my daughter? What should she do? She's never been in trouble before

1. Tatiana Kadetskaya

21

Answered . Nobody can predict, but she definitely needs a criminal lawyer.

2. Brian Andrew Trodden

18

Answered . I have represented people in similar situations. The important question in those cases was whether or not the situation presented a significant likelihood of harm to the child. You need a good criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. Under certain circumstances, CPS can get involved and seek to remove the child from the mother's custody. This is a serious matter. I am a former prosecutor, and have been handling criminal matters like this for 16 years. You can reach me via my website at castrotrodden.com or call my office 24 hours a day at 631-382-7979.

3. Michael R Crosner

17

Answered . I 100% percent agree with my colleagues - see to it that your daughter immediately consults a local criminal law attorney

4. Philip Anthony Fabiano

17

Answered . Attorney Lassen is correct. While this is a good source for some general information, your daughter needs to immediately consult with an attorney that handles criminal cases. New York passed a law in 2012 that made it a crime to leave a child under 8 alone in a car. The penalties for a child who is not hurt do not appear to be extensive for a first offense--it may just be a fine--but I assume the penalty is greater if the child is injured. Your daughter needs to seek legal advice immediately.

Pro

15

Answered . I can tell you that her chances for a successful resolution increase exponentially with a good local criminal lawyer.

6. Marco Caviglia

Pro

13

Answered . She will most likely be charged with the A misdemeanor of endangering the welfare of a child. She should obtain criminal law counsel.

7. Brian Curtis Pascale

Pro

10

Answered . You need to repost this in the criminal forum. Find her a good lawyer.