What rises to the level of a "nuisance" for the purposes of eviction?

Asked almost 3 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I have a disagreeable relationship with my landlord (large building) who is known to make life miserable for all tenants. Last week I got into an argument with them in the office. This resulted in them actually physically injuring me. Right after that they gave me notice to vacate in 60 days, citing a "nuisance."

1. 1

Answered . The nature of the nuisance must be specifically stated on the notice.

The City and County of San Francisco passed its Rent Ordinance limits rent increases for tenants in occupancy, and protects tenants from evictions in order to preserve low-cost housing in San Francisco. Tenants who are protected under the Rent Ordinance may not be evicted for no reason or any reason, but only based upon one of the enumerated "just causes", such as non-payment or rent, "nuisance", or owner-occupancy.

If you want to challenge an eviction based upon the notice you received, you are going to need to consult with a San Francisco tenant attorney.

2. 1

Answered . This may or may not be enough. Further, the notice should specifically state what the nuisance conduct is. Feel free to call me for a free consultation.