What rights does my son have for his daughter in an unsafe home, daughter out of wedlock

MY son is in the Army in Texas and is coming home on leave next weekend, he has 6 month old daughter here in Illinois, he had a DNA test and it was proven to be his on March 9th...there are no custody or child support set up, when he gets to see her, if he doesnt feel safe sending her back to her mother is it his right to keep her. The mother had DCFS called on her this week for neglect, and we have also been told the mother is on drugs.

Spring Valley, IL -

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

Family Law Attorney - Framingham, MA

I am sorry that your family is going through this and I thank your family and your son for his service to our country. If he feels that the child is in imminent harm or danger he should file an emergency motion with the probate or family court and seek custody, take care.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Child Custody Lawyer - Mokena, IL

Your son needs to immediately seek the services of an Illinois attorney to help him file for custody of his child. He can go to his JAG for assistance but they may not be able to help with family matters. He can also try the American Bar Association Pro Bono Military Project for help and a referral. He can also simply look for a local family law practitioner.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

Child Custody Lawyer - Libertyville, IL

see my comment to howard. your son must file for parentage and custody. he should do a family care plan with the military. sign the child up for tri care. get the child a military id card.

getting custody and removing the child from il to tx will be very difficult for him--he has never met the child.

he needs a lawyer.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Litigation Lawyer - Fairfax, VA

Your son will need to hire an attorney, the JAGs will not be able to help him.

In addition, your son's attempt to gain custody may impact his ability to remain in active duty. He will need to discuss his plans with his senior
enlisted advisor.

Related Advice