What rights does he have if hes not on the birthcertificate but does pay child support?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am 9 months pregnant and my babys father is not involve at all. I don't want my son to have his last name or to put him on the birthcertificate. If i get child support from him what rights would he have? And also am I able to get full custody of my son once hes born?

1. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

4

Best Answer

Answered . To get child support from him, either (a) he's going to need to sign a valid acknowledgement of parentage, or (b) a court is going to have to determine that he's Dad. That makes him legally Dad for all purposes. While it won't change the child's name, it will mean that he can ask for, and may be given visitation or custody rights.

2. Edna Carroll Straus

2

Answered . The state stands "in loco parentis" to children and the of the state aim is to protect the CHILD-- not to accommodate the parent or parents.

if you can support the child and the father files no paternity action,he will have no "rights." if you go on state aid, then they (DCSS) will seek to establish the father and obtain reimbursement from him.

3. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

1

1

Answered . Unless he seeks to establish him as the father he has no rights but still obligated to child support. The mother can put down the name of the child on the birth certificate and the father can go fight to have it changed later.