Skip to main content

What rights does father have when mother tries to terminate parental rights

Hampton, VA |

Mother filed in North Carolina and father lives in Virginia he has not seen him in over a year he does try to contact mother about visitation but nothing and he hasn't given any child support nor has he been asked, what rights does he have now so he doesn't lose his son

Attorney Answers 2


You will have to contact a NC lawyer to discuss the procedures and laws in NC.

Good luck.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

Anneshia Miller Grant
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-0195 - 24 Hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


What signed agreements or Court orders are in place now? Has Virginia ever had jursidiction. I would suggest that the father start visiting the child and paying support. If visitation is withheld, then make sure that is well documented. A year has gone by, its time to do the right thing. Schedule a phone consultation with an experienced custody attorney in the city where papers were filed.

WIshing you the very best. David McCormick - Custody attorney with the Law Firm of McCormick & Calderon with over 13,000 successful custody, divorce and bankruptcy cases. Offices in Newport News, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics