Skip to main content

What rights does a parent(s) have over an 18 year old still in high school in the state of Florida?

Largo, FL |
Filed under: Family law

I know that once you're 18, you're an adult, but I've heard that parents still have power over you because you're still in high school, is that true? I want to be able to leave the house without parents consent. It's for good and not really bad purposes. I'm a senior in high school and within the 2nd semester we are having our annual senior events. I also want to be able to hang out with my friends as much as possible until everyone begins to leave for college/military. I'm 3.0-3.5 gpa student. I'm respectful to my elders, and I don't want to be rude and to walk out of the house without consent (if needed). Oh and I know my parents are probably going to hold it against me so I want to make sure that it is legal for me to leave.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yeah, hanging out with your friends sounds like a really responsible thing to do. You're ready to move out. Right. Anyway, you are legally free to leave the house and begin your life. Under Florida law, however, your parents still have the power to control your school activities, to see your grades, to assure that you attend school, etc., until you graduate.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


great counsel


I am sorry that you are going through this difficult time. You have the right once you are 18 to move out, however as long as you are in school your parents do have certain rights and some of those are to see how you are doing in school. Please take good care and i wish you all the best.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


I concur with Attorney Rose.
You need to consider the relationship
with your parents and what that means to you
long term.
Sometimes words and action can last a lifetime.
Please consider carefully your next 5 months.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


When you are 18 you are legally an adult. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer