What rights does a parent(s) have over an 18 year old still in high school in the state of Florida?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Largo, FL

I know that once you're 18, you're an adult, but I've heard that parents still have power over you because you're still in high school, is that true? I want to be able to leave the house without parents consent. It's for good and not really bad purposes. I'm a senior in high school and within the 2nd semester we are having our annual senior events. I also want to be able to hang out with my friends as much as possible until everyone begins to leave for college/military. I'm 3.0-3.5 gpa student. I'm respectful to my elders, and I don't want to be rude and to walk out of the house without consent (if needed). Oh and I know my parents are probably going to hold it against me so I want to make sure that it is legal for me to leave.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

6

6

Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this difficult time. You have the right once you are 18 to move out, however as long as you are in school your parents do have certain rights and some of those are to see how you are doing in school. Please take good care and i wish you all the best.

2. Brent Allan Rose

5

Answered . Yeah, hanging out with your friends sounds like a really responsible thing to do. You're ready to move out. Right. Anyway, you are legally free to leave the house and begin your life. Under Florida law, however, your parents still have the power to control your school activities, to see your grades, to assure that you attend school, etc., until you graduate.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . I concur with Attorney Rose.
    You need to consider the relationship
    with your parents and what that means to you
    long term.
    Sometimes words and action can last a lifetime.
    Please consider carefully your next 5 months.

4. John Arthur Smitten

2

Answered . When you are 18 you are legally an adult. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659