What rights do the parents of a 18 year old student have as far as student records, report cards, etc...

Asked about 3 years ago - Torrington, CT

My son will turn 18 half way through his Senior Year - what are my rights as far as a parent about getting access to grades, progress reports, etc... between his 18th birthday and graduation?

1. James C Wing JR

Pro

Answered . A federal law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) controls.

FERPA says that at 18 the rights accorded to and consent previously required of the student's parents transfer to the student. Written consent by the student can permit the parents to obtain records.

There is an exception in FERPA that provides that schools may disclose information from the education record to the student's parents if the eligible student is a dependent as defined in section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

2. David C. Roston

Answered . You can ask your son, once he turns 18, to agree in writing that you can have have full access to all of the education records maintained by the school. He can change his mind, but you will have a start.