What rights do tenants have for private landlords showing apartment to potential new renters?

Asked about 1 year ago - Palatine, IL

My lease is due to expire July 31, and I have already given notice that I will not be renewing. Unless my lease states otherwise, what rights do I have as the current tenant in terms of when the apartment can be shown? My landlord has a tendency to give me an hour notice or even just show up and text when he's outside. I do not know if the law states anywhere that I need a specific notice (i.e. 24 hours in advance) prior to his entry, regardless of the reason. My husband and I both work FT, so these short notices are inconvenient if the place is a little disorganized and we have to drop everything to go back to the apartment to make sure it's showing-ready (i.e. making sure the bed is made if we were in a hurry in the morning, removing clothes from the dryer, etc.). Thanks!

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

5

1

Answered . Unfortunately, there is no rule or law in Illinois which states when a landlord can or can't enter the property he/she is renting.

The general rule in Illinois is that a landlord may enter with reasonable notice during reasonable times except in case of an emergency unless a local ordinance or the lease agreement specifically states otherwise.

Keep in mind that a renter does have a right to use enjoy the premises and the landlord cannot interfere unreasonably with that right

2. Adam J. Lysinski

Pro

2

2

Answered . ... I agree with the other answer. Please check your lease carefully. If it is silent on the matter, generally reasonably notice would suffice. Good Luck.

3. David Lyon Yanoff

1

Best Answer

Answered . The landlord has a right to "reasonable" access to show the unit. "Reasonable" is what you and the landlord can work out between yourselves so you need more of a diplomatic solution than a legal solution. If the landlord gives you short notice of a showing then he shows the unit in the condition it is in. You only need to leave it broom clean when you give it back to him. My last landlord came early to a scheduled showing of my apartment while I was still in the shower. I had him and the prospective tenants wait downstairs a few minutes while I dried and dressed.