What rights do I have to my money in a community property state if I am the sole earner of the household?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tacoma, WA

My wife and I are seperated by a restraining order and she has taken $4400 out of a joint account we have. She took half the tax money and my recent paycheck. She has opened her own account and most likely deposited the money there. I am the sole wage earner.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Melanie Avril Maxwell

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In WA, all assets and wages acquired during marriage are presumed to be community property, no matter who earns it. In the course of a divorce proceeding, it may be possible to have the wife account for the amount which she took in excess of her portion of the community assets. That portion is often one-half, but it can also be more or less than one-half in the discretion of the court.

  2. Bruce Clement


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you file for a decree of dissolution or legal separation the court can untangle this situation. On the one hand, your money is community property. On the other hand, the courts don't like financial manipulation. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on divorce for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you... more
  3. Richard Paul Patrick

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Generally speaking all assets obtained after marriage are community, this includes wages or income of either party. You seemed fixed on how your status as sole wage earner effects that...it does not. Sole wage earner gives you no bonus points...Make sure to keep a diary of everything that takes place with respect to assets as you go through the process of a divorce. In the end, an accounting of what she took should help in making things fairs with respect to dividing assets and debts up. Bank records are exceedingly easy to obtain so don’t worry about being able to prove what she took or where she put it. Get yourself an experienced family law attorney. Good Luck.

    This is not legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,034 answers this week

2,948 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,034 answers this week

2,948 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary