What rights do I have regarding final costs in a case? I Just got a final bill that is 85% higher than agreed to amount.

Maple Valley, WA |
Filed under: Professional ethics

We paid attorney up-front to an agreed to amount based on services that included going to trial and estimated witness costs. We did agree to pay for additional cost if original payment was exhausted. The case lasted 14 months after agreement. We NEVER were told we exhausted our original funds, nor did we EVER receive any billing statements along the way. Now, we just got a final bill that requires 85% more than our original agreed to amount.

If you signed a retainer agreement with your attorney, you should examine the provisions of it carefully and keep your word.

[In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics