What rights do I have regarding construction defaults on a residential property?

Asked over 1 year ago - Des Moines, IA

Home purchased in 2005 for $565,000. Today the front of the house is literally crumbling and I can not get the builder to respond to my inquiries to protect it from further damage and an estimate to fix the problems. I would like to sell as am relocating and am unable to get a realtor to sell it due to the problems. The median home price here is around $250,000. The builder is known as a top builder here.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jed R Prest

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You need to speak with IA attorney. I believe that IA statute of limitation has a discovery rule which may still keep your action alive for years. Normally the time runs from the time the defects could have been reasonably discovered. However, you need to discuss this matter with an attorney who can review your situation and timeline.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,879 answers this week

2,776 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,879 answers this week

2,776 attorneys answering