What rights do I have living in a senior citizen TDHCA Tax Credit apartment complex when the owner is discriminating against me?

Asked about 1 year ago - Pasadena, TX

My carpet is 9 yrs. old (6 yr. life) and he refused to replace it until I threatened him. He refused to replace a 9 yr. old blind until I threatened him. He then threw hugh pails of water from the 3rd floor onto my balcony on the second floor. Today when I went to sign my lease he had put a $501.00 early termination lease charge in. I have never been late with my rent or had a returned check. I owned my own home for 38 yrs. before I moved in here. He also told me I was in violation of the lease by smoking on my balcony. When I moved here the smoking rule was that we could smoke on our balcony but if we wanted to smoke in our apt. the deposit was $1000.00. I don't smoke in my apt. I have 3 yrs. of smoking rules and all say residents before 1/11/2008 can smoke in apt. or balcony.

1. Steven Warren Smollens

1

Best Answer

Answered . Dear Pasadena Tenant:

I am an attorney licensed to practice law in New York. I do not practice law in Texas.

You have a number of legitimate grievances and issues concerning your tenancy and the management of your apartment, so you will need a live hands on attorney to advocate for you.

You could read the information provided about tenant rights in a pamphlet published by the Texas Attorney General at:

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/ag_publications/pdf...

You should check the handbook published by the Texas State Bar at:

http://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/...

The world is turning unfriendly to persons who smoke and more landlords are invoking chances to limit and deter smoking anywhere in residential buildings

2. Cheryl Rivera Smith

Answered . You should contact www.houstontenants.org.