What rights do I have as a tenant of commercial space, without lease, and owner is requesting back pay on rent & TI?

Asked 7 months ago - Tacoma, WA

Former CEO of company provided commercial space for our business use & provided TI without paper agreement, lease or request of pay. Current CEO(s) are requesting back lease, cost of TI, utilities, CAM etc. Is it possible for us to exit without reprimand?

1. Jong M Lee

1

Answered . There are so many legal issues involved here that I would strongly advice you to speak with a landlord tenant attorney. Basically what is clear is that you received some sort of benefit so it is likely you'll have to pay something. The question is how much. You are at least in a month-month tenancy, so follow the notice rule for that "exit". I assume if the amount involved is substantial enough, the landlord will file suit either based on breach of contract or in equity.

Good luck,

J.

2. Tazewell Taylor Shepard IV

Answered . I agree with my colleague's advice above. I also note that you should be making exit plans from your current location as soon as practical.