What rights do I have against a neighbor filing false complaints?

Asked over 4 years ago - Lynnwood, WA

My husband and I have been living in our apartment for 11 months with no problems, but about five months ago, we have been receiving noise complaints from our new neighbors, saying we are screaming, running around the apartment ect. So far we have received a 10 day notice to comply or vacate - we paid the fine, we have spoken to our landlord and given her our side of the story but all she says is her hands are tied and she can't do any thing.

well not even a week later the noise complaints keep coming, a couple of complaints we received were from times we were out of town. As of right now, I am more scared of getting evicted over the false complaints. I want to know what my rights are as a tenant.

1. Elizabeth Rankin Powell

Answered . I am not sure why you paid money to be treated like this. Whenever there is a complaint, the respondent has the right to see the evidence and confront the witnesses against them. If you get another 10-day, please be sure to ask about the facts underlying the complaint. If you can show, as you say, that you were out of town while supposedly making a lot of noise then your landlord should think twice about proceeding against you.

If you have complied with your lease, please contact Robyn Freidman for more assistance. Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell