What rights do grandparents have if they haven't seen there grandchild in 4 years?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chatsworth, CA

My sons has not seen his father or anyone from his dads side of the family in over four years. The grandmother my ex's mom, calls my moms house. Wanting to meet up and see her grandson. She goes through my mom my mom goes through me. I decide the best thing to do is not meet. I'm in a good place right now with my son. We don't need any stress or drama. I let my mom inform her right now is just not a good time.
Now the grandma from my ex is asking for my address home/place of work so she can have me served.
Should I get a lawyer? Its not my sons dad asking to see him. Its his mother who wants to see him.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael John Harrington

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Get a lawyer. Grandparents dont actually have rights since a case called Troxel and a line of cases that came after; but there is a California statute for grandparent visitation. My concern is that apparently bio dad doesnt have your address, which may constitute child concealment.

    The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,324 answers this week

2,763 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,324 answers this week

2,763 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary