What rights a mistress have by law after so many years with a married man

Asked over 5 years ago - Memphis, TN

what is the legal term for mistress rights. A man that I now see as dangleing all of the good life infront of me taking sole care of me for years treating me like his wife. Yes even tho he had a wife. Now he has ask me to give up so much of my life so we could be together as much as we have weekly, trips, weekends, and a weekly allowance plus all my bills paid for and anything and everything. I done this for us and now he has walked with no responsibility, like all the years was free to him, yes he gave things to my life, but in the same hand men who marry more than one person that is eleagal so what he can play marriage on the side and not pay the same price for that,do i have rights.

I did not live with my mate, but was romantically involved for 22 years and currently receive 1450 per week . during those years he became more FAMOUS and remarried his ex wife and continues to see me. Recently he made sexual overtures towards my 15 year old daughter, he was in the room when she was born, and I can't have romantic involvement as he now turns my stomach with his abuse of power. I am dependent upon him as he asked me to quit my job 2 years ago,he is litigious, rich and powerful HELP.

1. David C. Garner

Answered . I am not licensed to practice in Tennessee, so I will answer based on general principles of law.

What you are asking about is called palimony (instead of alimony). It would be helpful to have a lot more facts here about the nature of your relationship, but I see a couple of hurdles you would need to overcome. The first is one of co-habitation. Generally palimony suits occurr between people who lived together in a way that mirrored a marriage but simply were not married. That would not appear to be the case with you.

Though laws differ in each state, presented here are some general key factors that might play into the court's decision to award or deny a palimony settlement:

Longevity of the relationship.
    An implied understanding between partners that one would financially provide for the other for the rest of his or her life.
    Spoken promises between partners that can be substantiated or corroborated. Written financial agreements, if any exist.
    Ability for the plaintiff to support himself or herself.
    Sacrifices made by one partner to support the other by way of giving up a career path to take care of the home or children.
    Sacrifices made by one partner to put the other partner through school so that he or she could earn a professional degree.
    Disparity between incomes

As simply the other woman, I think you would have a difficult case because you did not live together and were aware of his wife. Still, a court might be receptive based on the precise nature of your relationhsip.

I would talk with a PA attorney.