What right do i have when i have proof that my employers are willfully targeting me in order to fire me?

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

i work for a nonprofit, i had my suspicion confirmed by my supervisor that my employers had targeted me to get fired. they instructed my immediate supervisor to establish a paper trail so that they can fire me. for every write up or memo i have replied and stated my position. recently i found out that my employers where slightly hesitant to fire me because of all of the paper they instructed my supervisor to write now seems too much, and they don't want to appear that they might be harassing me.
do i have any ground to stand on to make any type of case?

1. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

2

Answered . You may. You would have to prove that the discrimination and/or harassment was "because of" a protected reason (race, gender, sexuality, religion, age, reporting wage/hour violations, etc.)

2. Eileen M. Burger Esq.

1

Answered . Most employment in New York is "at will". In order to have a valid hostile work environment or discrimination claim, you have to belong to a protected class, e.g. the employer is harassing you because of your age, sex, race, religion, etc. You may consider consulting with a lawyer specializing in employment law, who will analyze the details of your case and evaluate your chances.

3. Vincent Peter White

Answered . The answer really hinges on why your supervisors are targeting you. If it is due to some form of discrimination or retaliation then you may have a viable claim.