What right do i have when i have proof that my employers are willfully targeting me in order to fire me?

Brooklyn, NY |

i work for a nonprofit, i had my suspicion confirmed by my supervisor that my employers had targeted me to get fired. they instructed my immediate supervisor to establish a paper trail so that they can fire me. for every write up or memo i have replied and stated my position. recently i found out that my employers where slightly hesitant to fire me because of all of the paper they instructed my supervisor to write now seems too much, and they don't want to appear that they might be harassing me.
do i have any ground to stand on to make any type of case?

You may. You would have to prove that the discrimination and/or harassment was "because of" a protected reason (race, gender, sexuality, religion, age, reporting wage/hour violations, etc.)

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * Rfinn@hackermurphy.com * http://www.hackermurphy.com/Attorneys/Ryan-M-Finn.shtml * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *

thank you for your response, unfortunately, my employers has not overtly harassed me in any of the protected class that i can tell of. what options might i have?, as i am not knowledgeable in legal matters in order to accurately guide my steps.

Most employment in New York is "at will". In order to have a valid hostile work environment or discrimination claim, you have to belong to a protected class, e.g. the employer is harassing you because of your age, sex, race, religion, etc. You may consider consulting with a lawyer specializing in employment law, who will analyze the details of your case and evaluate your chances.

The answer really hinges on why your supervisors are targeting you. If it is due to some form of discrimination or retaliation then you may have a viable claim.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.