What repercussions could I face if I falsify a job application?

Lawrenceburg, IN |

This is completely hypothetical. I have not actually done this. But, I am wondering what kind of trouble I could get into if I falsify a job application?
More to the point, if, when I get to the "have you ever been convicted of a felony" question, I answer NO, even though I do have two felony convictions on my record, what could happen if the potential employer finds out that I do, even though I said I don't?
That is the only question on a job application that I might possibly want to answer dishonestly.
Is there any criminal charges that could be filed against me for doing that?
Again, I have not done this, nor do I really want to. I just want to know what the law says about it.

1. No ethical attorney would further or facilitate any contemplated future crime as it is expressly forbidden by the law. Criminal charges are possible for certain material misrepresentations is some instances.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

2. The penalty is termination for dishonesty and potentially bad references and no eligibility for unemployment benefits. And a bad rep that may get some circulation locally if your field is small.

If the application was under penalty of perjury for any reason, the penalty can get very steep -- felony criminal prosecution. The stakes can also go way way up if it is government employment, quasi-government employment, or government contractor employment. Avoid any deceptions with all of those.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

3. Definitely getting fired when they find out. You always need to be truthful in your employment applications.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

4. I agree. At the very least you won't have a job. Good luck.

JR Emerson is licensed to practice law in Indiana and practices throughout central Indiana. Mr. Emerson's response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. Mr. Emerson has provided the response as a form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often the question provided does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. JR Emerson strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. JR@CallJR.com, 317-721-5297 <ul> <li><a href="http://calljr.com/Indianapolis-Criminal-Defense-Lawyer"> Indianapolis Indiana Criminal Law Defense Lawyer</ a></li> <li><a href="http://www.IndyFamilyLaw.com"> Indianapolis Family Law Attorney </ a></li> <li><a href="http://indyfamilylaw.com/Indianapolis-Divorce-Lawyers"> Indianapolis Divorce Lawyers</a></li> <li><a href="http://www.IndyPersonalInjuryLaw.com">Indianapolis Personal Injury Attorney </ a></li> </ul>