What repercussions could I face if I falsify a job application?

Asked 10 months ago - Lawrenceburg, IN

This is completely hypothetical. I have not actually done this. But, I am wondering what kind of trouble I could get into if I falsify a job application?
More to the point, if, when I get to the "have you ever been convicted of a felony" question, I answer NO, even though I do have two felony convictions on my record, what could happen if the potential employer finds out that I do, even though I said I don't?
That is the only question on a job application that I might possibly want to answer dishonestly.
Is there any criminal charges that could be filed against me for doing that?
Again, I have not done this, nor do I really want to. I just want to know what the law says about it.

1. James Robert Emerson

Pro

3

Answered . I agree. At the very least you won't have a job. Good luck.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

Answered . The penalty is termination for dishonesty and potentially bad references and no eligibility for unemployment benefits. And a bad rep that may get some circulation locally if your field is small.

If the application was under penalty of perjury for any reason, the penalty can get very steep -- felony criminal prosecution. The stakes can also go way way up if it is government employment, quasi-government employment, or government contractor employment. Avoid any deceptions with all of those.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

4

Answered . Definitely getting fired when they find out. You always need to be truthful in your employment applications.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . No ethical attorney would further or facilitate any contemplated future crime as it is expressly forbidden by the law. Criminal charges are possible for certain material misrepresentations is some instances.