Skip to main content

What regulatory agency governs licensed process servers?

Thousand Oaks, CA |

I am interested not in avoiding a lawsuit for improper service but in reporting an improper service to a regulatory agency, because lying about service is WRONG and I suppose ILLEGAL, and the licensed person who perjured herself by saying she personally served me, when she certainly did not, just dumping papers in my mailbox without even the privacy of a manilla envelope so that my postman could see them plain as day, and never mailing anything properly thereafter, should be held accountable for such lack of legality and professionalism. What is the regulatory agency governing licensed process servers so that I can report her and the legal services firm that contracted her? Thank you.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    California Process servers are required to be registered in the county in which they work (California Business and Professions Code §22350 and §22353). Here is a link about the rules and regulations applicable to them:

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

  2. Generally, I know of no "licensure" process for a someone serving legal papers - they merely need to be over the age of 18 and uninvolved in the case at hand. You can object to the service in court to the judge assigned to your case, but there really isn't an agency that handles someone serving papers.

    This answer is not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - it is to be considered only a general response to a hypothetical scenario posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

  3. There is no state or federal agency or government bureau for a process server