What regulatory agency governs licensed process servers?

Thousand Oaks, CA |

I am interested not in avoiding a lawsuit for improper service but in reporting an improper service to a regulatory agency, because lying about service is WRONG and I suppose ILLEGAL, and the licensed person who perjured herself by saying she personally served me, when she certainly did not, just dumping papers in my mailbox without even the privacy of a manilla envelope so that my postman could see them plain as day, and never mailing anything properly thereafter, should be held accountable for such lack of legality and professionalism. What is the regulatory agency governing licensed process servers so that I can report her and the legal services firm that contracted her? Thank you.

California Process servers are required to be registered in the county in which they work (California Business and Professions Code §22350 and §22353). Here is a link about the rules and regulations applicable to them: http://www.serve-now.com/resources/become-process-server/california

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Thank you for your reply. So there must be some state and/or county dept to which I can send a letter. This may seem trivial to some people, but by lying that she served me personally on the 6th, when I actually received the item in my mailbox on the 9th, I was under an illusion that I had 3 more calendar days to figure out my approach, while I was busy with my husband in critical care in the hospital. I figured my approach in time, but I do feel the server should be reported. For the legal services company that hired her (and would take no responsibility, as she is an "independent contractor," although the legal services phone is listed on the court paperwork), I suppose I can only resort to the Better Business Bureau? Thank you.

And needless to say, she didn't put any detailed info on what she left in my mailbox, no date of service, who served, etc. Only at the legal clinic at the courthouse did I find out what she filed with the court, and paid to obtain a copy with all the proper information.

Generally, I know of no "licensure" process for a someone serving legal papers - they merely need to be over the age of 18 and uninvolved in the case at hand. You can object to the service in court to the judge assigned to your case, but there really isn't an agency that handles someone serving papers.

This answer is not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - it is to be considered only a general response to a hypothetical scenario posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Thank you for your reply. On the Proof of Service of Summons the server is listed as a "registered California process server" with a Registration number listed and for a particular County. What does that mean?

There is no state or federal agency or government bureau for a process server

Thank you for your reply. On the Proof of Service of Summons the server is listed as a "registered California process server" with a Registration number listed for a particular County, and also checked as "independent contractor." Does that not mean that some agency can be notified?