What recourse is there after buying a fake painting that was advertised at auction as an original work by a well-known artist?

Asked about 1 year ago - Plattsburgh, NY

At a public auction in New York State, I purchased a painting that was advertised and sold as being an authentic, original work by a renowned 20th century artist. The painting turned out to be a fake, according to an art expert who did a formal, post-auction appraisal of the painting in question. What are my legal options? I'm also seeking the legal category this type of action falls under: fraud, misrepresentation, unjust enrichment, breach of warranties, etc. Thank you.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

1

Answered . You have to read the catalog and sales documents for disclaimers. Have you called the auction house to see if it will reverse the sale? Try to find a lawyer who deals in art sales.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

Answered . Maybe all causes of actions that you stated, plead in the alternative. First consult with a local lawyer to see if a settlement can be reached instead of costly litigation. Bring along the bill of sale and catalog when consulting with your attorney.

3. Robert V Cornish Jr.

Answered . Demand that the purchase be rescinded or sue them for what you paid. One of my colleagues in my office handles these sorts of matters with galleries and auction houses, as do many people here on AVVO.