What recourse does a sexual assault victim have when the DA and Victim Coordinator aren't exercising the victims' rights?

Houston, TX |

Sexual assault victims have a host of rights, but who enforces the rights? Is there an agency or regulating body to make sure the DA and coordinator do what they are supposed to (contact the victim about settings, inform victim of plea offers, offer opportunity for impact statement, etc...) and who do I talk to when they don't? The Women's Center/s are a great resource, but they are getting nowhere too.

Seems a lot like the wolf guarding the hen house. Who can I go to for help in this matter?

1. There are advocacy groups that can help you if the District Attorney's are unwilling to help you.

You should speak with an attorney as soon as possible and adhere to their advice.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten

2. To be blunt the answer is that there is no one overseeing these issues. Each DA's office is independent and does there own review. There are advocacy groups but none that have any oversight of any particular DA's office.

The advice I have given does not bind the parties in any manner and is merely given as a courtesy.

3. Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Article 20.09 says that "The grand jury shall inquire into all offenses liable to indictment of which any member may have knowledge, or of which they shall be informed by the attorney representing the State, or any other credible person."
    What this means is you can hire an attorney to go before the grand jury, just make sure you hire someone with experience in doing so.

Pamela Fernandez's response to your question is for general information purposes only. Nothing in this response should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

4. Get lawyer for grand jury. Avvo has a great "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low fee.