Skip to main content

What recourse do roommates have when one of them skip out on the lease they signed?

Palm Coast, FL |

My brother, a friend of his and myself rented a 4 bedroom house in June. We all signed the lease and agreed to the 2 year term. I paid all up front costs which included first, last month's rent sercurity deposit and paperwork fee because my brother wasn't working yet and his friend said she didn't have it at the time. The end of June my brother's friend said she had to go up north to visit her sistersand she would be back in a week. My brother and I asked her for her share of the rent and she dodged the request everytime. She called from up north and said she is moving out. She came down took her stuff(and some of ours) and left. We have her phone number and phone number and address of one sister. What can we do now? We can not afford this now? I am disable and can not work.

Attorney Answers 3


You can sue the other roommate for the share not paid. If the other person has assets you may collect something. If not, you will likely spend more money, that apparently you dont have, and still not have anything to show for it. Sounds like you need to get a new roommate who can share the expenses and will pay them up front.

The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices., 305 377 1505

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Consult a real estate attorney. If the 2 year lease is not signed by the landlord and two witnesses you may be able to get out of the lease. You may email a copy of the lease to me for review at

I provide a free 15 minute telephone consult for security deposit claims and eviction defense. No attorney-client relationship is created by answering questions in this public forum. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship, you must contact me directly and sign a representation agreement. Answers are provided based on general ideas and an answer specific to your situation would require a review of all documents.

Mark as helpful


You can sue the room mate for unpaid rent and also should try to mitigate the damage by putting out an ad for another house mate to replace the one that bailed out on you guys...

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics