What recourse do I have with Kaiser when I'd waited 6 weeks for an initial appointment and the law says max wait time 15 days?

Elk Grove, CA |

The standard of care was further not met by this department through prescribing non-therapeutic dosages of drugs, poorly weaning me off of another drug I'd taken for a decade via dramatic reduction in mg's which made my condition worse, having the wrong chart and insisting I was someone else for the first 1/3 of the appointment at the end of the 6 weeks, and not addressing the severe side effects I reported which appeared on a black-box warning on the labels of the drugs.

What 15-day limit are you talking about? I am dubious that there is such a law.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Au contraire, this article applies to me to a "t" and I'm surprised there's no class action... is there? http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/19/5276439/california-investigation-says.html

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

This article is very misleading. There is no State law mandating medical appointments within 15 days of the patient's call. There are some state regulations pertaining to parity in mental health services (with other health care services), but the circumstances in which the 15-day limit applies are very narrow and specific, and there are numerous exceptions to the regulation. The particular regulation that you read about applies only to behavioral mental health services -- a very narrow category of health care services. There is additional information to found here -- http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/mental-health-benefits-state-mandates.aspx -- in the chart about a third of the way down. In all events, Kaiser patients are subject to mandatory arbitration provisions, so there is little likelihood of any class action on this or any related issue. The specific regulation that you are inquiring about would not be enforceable by court action in any event, but by regulating authorities upon a sufficient number of complaints sustained after state investigation. You can make a complaint to the California Department of Insurance, but your better and more immediate recourse is to talk with the patient services/ombudsman staff at the medical facility.

How is the article misleading? That very narrow category of health care services applies to me or else I would not have taken issue with state law, or rather, regulation (forgive my ignorance, what's the difference?) I know I can't sue the pants off of Kaiser - but I can find an attorney to represent me in arbitration., can't I?