What recourse do I have if my signature is forged on a promissory to pay and assignment of proceeds?

Asked over 1 year ago - Frederick, MD

My signature was forged on 2 documents promissory to pay and assignment of proceeds by a company that did service work at my residence.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Blaine Beard

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . Based on the limited information, and absent making a compelling argument to whoever is trying to collect on the forged document, you will probably have to file suit to prove you didn't sign the document.

  2. Thomas C Valkenet


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You may have claims for fraud, or claims to be excused from operation of the documents. But you also may have to pay for the service work, if you actually ordered the work, authorized it, and had knowledge that it was being done. You need to sit with counsel for a full interview and review of your rights and responsibilities.

  3. Warren E Tydings Jr

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Go see an attorney right away. Don't wait for them to take action. A declaratory judgment action may be appropriate.

    This response is based on information provided. Many variables may exist that can only be addressed in an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,350 answers this week

3,056 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,350 answers this week

3,056 attorneys answering