Skip to main content

What recourse do I have if I am receiving threatening and abusive text messages from my roommates?

Glen Allen, VA |

Two of my roommates are texting me abusive and threatening messages because they say they don't like me. They have accused me of making statements I have not made, they claimed I am obsessed with a major drug, which I am not, that if I don't do what they tell me to do-they will make my life miserable-that I can't run from them. They are calling me very nasty names. We are college students and this is affecting my ability to get my school work done and I find it to be very upsetting. I am afraid they will hurt me or destroy my belongings. This just came out of the blue-we just signed a new lease together. I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Attorney Answers 2


You should consult a Virginia attorney about pursing a protective order/adult abuse order. In many states roommate status is covered under these laws.

This answer is provided as a public service for informational purposes only. Providing this information does not create an attorney-client relationship. As with all legal matters, you should contact an experienced attorney in your geographical area to discuss the law specific to your state. Mr. Hendrickson can be contacted via his website at

Mark as helpful


Have you actually spoken with your roommates to clear the air? If you have tried that and it has not been successful, you may wish to contact the campus police if they have jurisdiction or the local police. The police should be able to intercede or provide you with some additional information on how you can deal with the situation in your state. You also might want to contact a local attorney to see whether or not you are entitled to a restraining order or similar court intervention.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics